The WA Government has recently announced another stimulus for small businesses here in WA. A $500 electricity credit is available to eligible businesses and charities for use of commercial premises, including mixed-use with residential property. Unlike the automated credit issued to businesses during COVID last year, an application must be completed and lodged with the WA Government this time around.
The key date to determine your eligibility is 2 February 2021 and each commercial premises can receive the $500 credit should the property:
- Be used for commercial purposes or mixed purposes (excludes solely residential property)
- Have electricity consumption that is no more than 50MW/h per year, or total electricity bills under $15,000 per annum
- Be owner-occupier or tenant who pays the electricity costs.
Should you be an eligible tenant, you should liaise with the landlord regarding the above credit and organize an arrangement to access the stimulus.
Applications will be processed electronically via the WA Online Services Portal, with the link provided below. When applying, the WA Government will request a number of supporting documents such as:
- Business name, ABN, and/or ACN
- Premises address
- Copy of the lease agreement covering the above period (2 February 2021)
- The nominated bank account statement
- Company: ASIC extract
- Trust: Trust deed
- Partnership: Partnership agreement or financial statements
- Sole trader: Personal ID
- Charity: Income tax exempt declaration
- Authorised person’s ID
- An electricity invoice covering the 2 February 2021.
There will then be 2 methods of calculating the electricity usage, to ensure you meet the above criteria of not exceeding 50MW/h or $15,000 per annum.
Method 1 – Average
Using the invoice covering up to 2 February 2021 period, multiplied by the 12 month period. eg bi-monthly invoice covering 2 February 2021 to be multiplied by 6.
Method 2 – Actual
Extract the total usage from the electricity invoice for the 12 consecutive months covering 2 February 2021.
The application process will conclude on 30 September 2021, so please ensure electronic lodgement before this date. For more information from the WA Government or to begin your application, please click here for the electrical credit information.
As always, please feel free to contact the Connolly & Associates team should you have any queries or require assistance.